I remember every morning my dad giving almonds to eat. He kept saying, “O son it’s brain food.”
I use to think, “Yea, whatever,” without ever daring to say anything. Those were the days where a slap was given to a child if an elder was shown disrespect in words or body language. But as I’ve grown older, I’ve realised the food we eat is important as the saying goes “You are what you eat!” Just the way our muscles, heart, liver and so on require nutrients so does our brain.
So today I wanted to share a list of brain food… according to the oxford dictionary it means “Food believed to be beneficial to the brain, especially in increasing intellectual capabilities.”
- ‘Brown’ wholegrain cereals, bread, rice and pasta is a supply of energy for the brain.
- Oily fish such as salmon, trout and sardines provide fats that are important for a healthy brain.
- Berries may it be strawberries, cherries, blackberries or blueberries… prevent memory loss.
- Eggs helps with memory development.
- Peanut butter is a source of vitamin E.
- Oats are great for breakfast as it keeps the brain fed all morning.
- Beans are special because they have energy from protein and complex carbs and fiber.
- Milk & Yogurt… Dairy foods are packed with protein and B-vitamins.
- Spinach and kale.
- Finally, Almonds contain a host of healthy nutrients that not only benefits overall health but is also known to boost specific brain functions.
Why not leave a reply to let us know what other brain foods work for you! Like and share with others as sharing is caring. 😛
Note: ensure your child is not allergic to any of the foods e.g. as some people may have an allergic reaction to nuts.